NEW YORK (AP) — Judges are expected to start deliberating Thursday in the criminal trial of three accusing of trying to scare a former Chinese official into returning to his homeland, a scheme that US prosecutors say was orchestrated by Beijing.
American private investigators Michael McMahon and Zheng Congying and Zhu Yong, two Chinese nationals living in the US, face charges including acting as illegal foreign agents, stalking and conspiracy. Prosecutors say the scheme reflects China’s nearly decade-old “Operation Fox Hunt,” an initiative aimed at repatriating people deemed fugitives from justice.
- Attorney: Man involved in train killing shot in self-defense
- SA seeks legal advice on R396bn Eskom debt burden
- As DA Jason Williams awaits federal tax trial, another former lawyer in his firm is charged | Courts
- Vekos would bring defense attorney experience to county prosecutor's job
- Portage double fatal stabbing was self-defense, attorney says at arraignment