Louisiana Republican Attorney General Jeff Landry says that the federal government did a great disservice to the American people by colluding with Big Tech to censor not just opinions, but facts.
“Let’s talk about the 2020 election,” Landry said on the “Just the News, No Noise” TV show. “The FBI tells all the social media platforms to watch out for Russian disinformation … and interference in our elections. And yet, the New York Post issues a story about the Hunter Biden laptop, which we know today would have absolutely swayed many voters , had they known that it was real.”
“The FBI had the laptop in their possession,” he continued. “They don’t say anything. They allow the social media platforms to shadow ban, to kick people off, to try to do their best to make it look like they debunked the story.”
Earlier this week, a Louisiana federal judge ordered the Biden administration to limit its contact with social media platforms, determining that the government likely violated the First Amendment by working to censor disfavored political viewpoints online.
“This could be the most important First Amendment case in our modern times,” Landry said in response to the ruling. “I think the judge did an unbelievable job of laying out in a 154 page opinion as to why we are liable to prevail– why we are most likely to prevail– in proving that the government violated American citizens’ First Amendment rights.”
The Biden administration announced Wednesday that it plans to appeal the decision.
“Doesn’t the federal government have the responsibility to tell the American citizens the truth, since they want to be the ministers of truth?” Landry asked. “Where was the truth in not letting us know that the Biden laptop was a real thing?”
SAN DIEGO — President Joe Biden scrapped expedited asylum screenings during his first month in office as part of a gutting of Trump administration border polices that included building a wall with Mexico. Now he is preparing his own version.
Donald Trump’s fast-track reviews drew sharp criticism from internal government watchdog agencies as the percentage of people who passed those “credible fear interviews” plummeted. But the Biden administration has insisted its speedy screening for asylum-seekers is different: Interviews will be done exclusively by US Citizenship and Immigration Services, not by Border Patrol agents, and everyone will have access to legal counsel.
The decision to use fast-track screenings comes as COVID-19 asylum restrictions are set to expire on May 11 and the US government prepares for an expected increase in illegal crossings from Mexico. The Texas border cities of El Paso, Laredo and Brownsville have declared local states of emergency in recent days to prepare for the anticipated influx.
Normally, about three in four migrants pass credible fear interviews, though far fewer eventually win asylum. But during the five months of the Trump-era program, only 23% passed the initial screening, while 69% failed and 9% withdrew, according to the Government Accountability Office.
Those who get past initial screenings are generally freed in the United States to pursue their cases in immigration court, which typically takes four years. Critics say the court backlog encourages more people to seek asylum.
To pass screenings, migrants must convince an asylum officer they have a “significant possibility” of prevailing before a judge on arguments that they face persecution in their home countries on grounds of race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership in a social group.
Under the Biden administration’s fast-track program, those who don’t qualify will be deported “in a matter of days or just
BISMARCK, ND — A federal judge has ordered the US government to resume regular oil and gas lease sales on federal lands in North Dakota, even as a legal battle continues over the Biden administration’s suspension of the leasing program two years ago in an effort to combat climate change.
Hailing the ruling as a victory, North Dakota Attorney General Drew Wrigley said canceled lease sales have cost North Dakota over $100 million in revenue each year and deprived the nation of “much-needed access to oil and gas during these difficult times of high inflation and threats to our energy security,” the Bismarck Tribune reported.
But the judge also denied the state’s request to force the Bureau of Land Management, a federal agency, to hold sales that were canceled in 2021 and 2022.
“North Dakota has a substantial likelihood of prevailing on the merits and has met the other factors favoring a preliminary injunction,” US District Judge Daniel Traynor wrote in his 82-page order filed Monday. “Given this preliminary stage of litigation and the incomplete administrative record, however, not all of North Dakota’s requested relief is appropriate.”
Last year’s federal climate law included a political compromise among Democrats that was meant to ensure oil and gas lease sales by linking them to the renewable energy development that Biden has promoted. Citing that law, federal officials have proposed a June lease sale totaling 21,000 acres (8,498 hectares) in North Dakota and Montana.
But how often future lease sales will be held remains a point of contention.
US Department of Justice Senior Attorney Michael Sawyer said in court documents that North Dakota’s push to resume quarterly lease sales before the lawsuit was decided would be a “rush to judgment” and would subject the Bureau of Land Management to increased litigation risk from
US Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois John Lausch will be leading the investigation of classified documents found at the University of Pennsylvania’s Penn Biden Center, nearly two years after President Joe Biden nearly fired him.
Lausch has been in office since 2017 when he was appointed by then-President Donald Trump. When Biden took office in early 2021, it was reported that the president had plans to fire him, even though the Senate had confirmed him unanimously. The news of the planned termination drew criticism from both parties, such as Democratic Illinois Sens. Dick Durbin and Tammy Duckworth expressed their dismay.
“While we agree with the Biden Administration’s criminal justice agenda, we are disappointed with the decision to terminate US Attorney Lausch without consulting us,” the two senators from Lausch’s home state said in a joint statement. “In 2017, our non-partisan screening committee gave its support for Mr. Lausch to serve in this position, and the Senate confirmed him unanimously.”
Durbin and Duckworth added that there was precedent for individuals in Lausch’s position to stay in office after a new administration took over “to conclude sensitive investigations.” They urged Biden to at least let Lausch stay on until a replacement was confirmed.
DOJ TAPS TRUMP-APPOINTED ATTORNEY TO INVESTIGATE CLASSIFIED DOCUMENTS FOUND AT BIDEN THINK TANK
Illinois Republican Reps. Darin LaHood, Mary Miller and Rodney Davis issued a similar statement at the time, noting that Lausch had been in the middle of “pursuing a historic and major public corruption investigation involving a years-long bribery scheme that has implicated former House Speaker Michael Madigan and others.”
Ultimately, Lausch was spared and allowed to stay on in his role.
DEMS DEFEND BIDEN CLASSIFIED DOCUMENTS HANDLING, CALL OUTRAGE ‘REPUBLICAN HYPOCRISY’
Fox News reached out to the White House for
Classified documents from President Joe Biden’s vice presidency were discovered at a think tank and will be reviewed by an attorney.
Two sources with knowledge of the matter told CBS News Attorney General Merrick Garland has given the US attorney in Chicago the job to review the classified documents discovered at the Penn Biden Center for Diplomacy and Global Engagement in Washington.
According to CBS News, the approximately 10 documents are from Biden’s vice-presidential office at the center, citing sources.
Additionally, the outlet learned the FBI is involved in the inquiry by the US attorney.
Richard Sauber, special counsel to Biden, explained to CBS News the documents were found when Biden’s personal attorneys “were packing files housed in a locked closet to prepare to vacate office space at the Penn Biden Center in Washington, DC.”
7-Year-Old Louisiana Girl Dies After Being Mauled By Neighbor’s Dog – Owner Taken Into Custody
Sources said the documents were inside of a folder that was in a box with other papers that were unclassified.
The sources did not disclose what the documents contained or their level of classification, as CBS News reported.
According to a source, the documents did not have nuclear secrets included within them.
“The documents were not the subject of any previous request or inquiry by the Archives. Since that discovery, the President’s personal attorneys have cooperated with the Archives and the Department of Justice in a process to ensure that any Obama-Biden Administration records are appropriately in the possession of the Archives,” Sauber said.
The National Archives then reportedly informed the Department of Justice.
US Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois John Lausch has been assigned the job to find out how the classified documents landed at the Penn Biden Center.
The outlet noted Garland will determine whether
The Biden administration began in 2022 by rolling out its National Roadway Safety Strategy, a US Department of Transportation-wide initiative aimed at addressing rising injuries and deaths involving cars and trucks.
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration — and Congress — is expected to advance regulatory and legislative policies that either directly or indirectly attempt to tackle the problem.
With Republicans taking control of the House, a divided government will make it more difficult to pass many types of legislation next year. But legislation setting up grants to expand truck parking has gained momentum over the last two congressional sessions and that momentum is expected to continue, particularly after the Senate introduced companion legislation earlier this month.
Truck parking bills, like all bills that didn’t progress in the current Congress, will have to be reintroduced. But truck parking advocates — which includes large and small carriers as well as shippers and other supply chain participants — will be looking to build on recent progress.
A notice of intent issued this year by FMCSA to propose in 2023 electronic engine devices to set and limit truck speeds have truckers on high alert.
The notice of FMCSA’s intent alone generated more than 15,000 responses, and at least that many is expected once the actual proposal is issued. Most came from independent owner-operators and small trucking companies that are adamantly against it, arguing that the crash safety benefits touted by safety groups are undercut by accidents caused by cars and trucks traveling at different speeds. Large trucking companies and some safety groups, on the other hand, support a 70 mph limit.
FMCSA is trying to crack down on illegal brokers by attempting to clarify differences between brokers, bona fide agents and dispatch services through interim guidelines unveiled